Friday, October 06, 2006

I’m All Rallied Up!

I was supposed to post this last night but, alas, my bed was calling me...




So, there was another rally in downtown Chicago this afternoon.
I found out about it this morning on the way to work. I was actually quite surprised that I didn’t hear about it earlier.

I went during my lunch hour with my boss. He’s a super hip guy that doesn’t really belong in the corporate setting, thus we get along great!

This rally was in protest of the Bush Regime. Hundreds of voices shouted “Drive out the Bush Regime! The World Can’t Wait!”

We heard many speakers but the highlights for me were:
1.) A wonderful & sometimes silly Chicago actor Mike Nussbaum- giving a battle cry to the folks at the rally
And…
2.) Former Weather Underground Member Bernadine Dohrn- she spoke of the violence of torture and the appalling result of last week’s legalization of US torture….the full story is here.

There were all ages & all types at the rally. It was very good to see. I was bummed that I couldn’t participate in the march @ 2pm today as I needed to get back to work but I could hear everything loud & clear from my office. It didn’t have the enormous size of the immigrant rally many months ago but I do believe they were heard. In fact, I’m sure some of the planning was deterred because they only received a permit from Chicago police a few hours ago. Speaking of police, it was very disturbing to see so many policemen there… seemingly not there to PROTECT the protesters but more to KEEP THEM IN LINE…I would say there seemed to be over 100 cops there.

The event was organized by these guys. Very cool.

Many thanks to them for organizing this event. I hope that more and more people will support this effort.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

LOVE Mike Nussbaum. Saw him in Tuesdays With Morrie at Northlight. *sigh* He's swell.

Fri Oct 06, 02:17:00 PM  
Blogger Foofa said...

I was so sad to hear about this after the fact. I love a good protest!

Sat Oct 07, 05:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counters