Wednesday, September 06, 2006

More Women’s Roles Please!…Say “NO” to Fast Food Cinema!

My husband & I normally get the NY Times every Sunday but since we have moved recently, there have been some missing papers. Alas, we may need to just stick to the online version. Poop.

A Co-Worker pointed this out to me and I thought it was quite interesting. Since I am in the Chicago Theatre Community, it is apparent to me every day that women have limited starring roles in the theatre. This just broadened that spectrum to include film and just about…oh, MOST of Hollywood! I am unfamiliar with Vera Farmiga’s work but am now quite anxious to check her out!

Here’s the link to the article, from this past Sunday’s NY Times magazine.

Of course I am the biggest Meryl Streep fan and yes, she is brilliant...and yes, she can turn a piece of doodoo into gold. But I have to hand it to those producers who let that kind of writing see the light of day in the first place. What’s going on these days?

I am so tired of today’s films. The best thing I saw this past year was LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE. It was very well-written, had a great cast & was VERY funny. The humor was character driven, relating to the situation that the characters were in. The writing respected and trusted the actors to deliver this is a funny way without feeling the need to dumb down the script or write bad one liners. You don’t see those kinds of scripts very often. I applaud the directors of LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris as well.

I think why I’m making such a big deal about this film is because there just aren’t enough of them out there to see. I am hungry for good film and I constantly get this bad taste in my mouth when I go to see film these days. It’s such a shame. Our fast food lives have created fast food cinema. Yuck.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

And it's so expensive to go to the movies lately --- you want to feel like your money is actually buying you something worth your time and $$$, you know? If the film is going to be crap, at least give me a discount on it! Hey, that's not a bad idea! Charge different admission prices for different quality movies. That way, if your boyfriend insists on seeing Scary Movie 16, at least it didn't cost you much $$$.

Thu Sep 07, 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

P.s. I can't copy and paste the link b/c it's continuing over the right sidebar. Can you create a URL link? All you have to do is highlight the text that you want to link, and click on the button of the globe with the chains around it. (at least that's what it looks like to me) Then enter the web address in the box and click OK. VOILA!

Or you could just email it to me.

But then everyone else wouldn't get to read it. WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN??!!!

Thu Sep 07, 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger Alanda said...

Thanks Jules! you da best! The link should be fixed now!

Thu Sep 07, 02:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counters