Tuesday, September 05, 2006

My Name As A Racial Slur

In case you haven't noticed, my name is Alanda Coon. COON.

I received an email from a reader of my blog this weekend and am so thrilled that she brought this up. Just in case some of you might be wondering the same thing, please check out this message from “Y” and my response:

Hi,

I really enjoy your blog. I have a question though and didn't want to put it in the comment section because it is slightly off beat. I have to admit I was surprised at someone with a strong hankering for justice in the world to title their blog "It's Coon Time". I of course realize it is your last name but as an african-american woman seeing a caucasian person using that title without acknowledging how offensive it could be is a bit odd. Maybe you did in an eariler post? I don't want to sound like an asshole but wanted to mention that people could take it the wrong way. I hope I didnt offend you.

Best,

Y

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Y,

No offense taken at all. I appreciate your email greatly. Thank you.

I have dealt with a lot of crap regarding my last name in my life. I used to hate it because I was dealing with weird responses to my name before I even learned that it can be used as a racial slur. I look at it now as what was given to me at birth and nothing will change that. I got married last year & I refuse to change my name, not solely because I have come to love my last name, but also because I do not believe in taking on another person's name. Like you are their property. Sure, COON is my dad's name, but I have the power to stop this perpetual tradition that started long ago because women were thought of as property. Names also represent identity, so why would I change my identity just because I tied the knot?

Getting to your point...

I happen to think my first name AND last name are both catchy and unique. That is why I call my blog "It's Coon Time." I don't personally see it as a derogatory thing. If my name was LIPSHITZ, I would feel the same. Sometimes it's better to celebrate what is different or what others could call laughable or controversial rather than pretend it is not there.

My good friend, Lil, & I always joke about doing a cabaret show together.... (she happens to be a wonderfully talented African American)...called COON SONGS. I'm still toying with the idea, but will only do it if we can make a huge political statement and reinvent the term COON SONGS as a more empowering thing (kinda how the feminist movement took the word BITCH years ago.) The whole show has not been decoded by us yet but we still keep it in our minds in case it unravels and we do get to perform COON SONGS some day. Because it is a controversial title, people would come and hopefully, we could make the world a little brighter for doing it. My skin may be fair but I am all about the cause. And I think we'd have a blast doing it too!

Anyhoo, I hope I have communicated this well to you. I really appreciate your message. truly. And I am so happy that your politically minded self took the initiative to start the conversation.

Thanks Y. And since you brought this up, I feel maybe others might be thinking similarly to you & perhaps I should explain myself. Would you mind if I included your email on my site? I promise to not use your name.

All best to you,

Alanda Coon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Web Counters